Monday 7 November 2011

Rembrandt Lighting

Firstly, I'd like to say: I deserve an A+ for effort (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit), but it's my first day in Brazil, it's 28ºC out there, I could be spending my time seeing my friends who I haven't seen in over 2 years, could be with my lovely grandma, but no, I'm in a room doing work for Uni =( Please appreciate my effort, even if I'm still behind!

Okay, I feel slightly better after that =P

Anyway!!
On October 11th we had a workshop on different types of studio lighting for portraits. One of them was Rembrandt Lighting.

Rembrandt Lighting is named after the Dutch painter because he often used this lighting on his portraits.



The key light is placed high up, on the front, to one side of the subject. To the other side of the camera, a reflector or fill light is used, at half-height and half power of the key light. If the model faces the camera at an angle, the key light should illuminate the far side.



The main characteristic of the Rembrandt lighting is that a triangle of light will form under the eye (of the darker side of the face). This triangle should be no longer than the nose and no wider than the eye.

Below is one of our group's photo that depicts this technique:



No comments:

Post a Comment